Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Markets in Vienna

*Nick in Vienna

As I mentioned in the last post we have done a ton of things in the past couple weeks. We going to try to catch up a bit and write about various highlights. We're heading to Budapest with my parents in a couple days, so hopefully we'll catch up before then. This post is mainly pictures, but I wanted to post them while people were still in the Christmas spirit.



I wrote about this awhile ago, but there are tons of Christmas markets in Vienna. Seriously, is there is a bit of open space then there is a Christmas market. They all have wonderful hot wine and other adult drinks, sausages, chocolates, cakes, and numerous stands with ornaments, crafts, toys, books, scarves, etc. Here is a picture of Jane and myself with my brother and mom at one enjoying our drinks.

The biggest market is in front of the Rathaus, which is city hall. Here is a picture of the building all lit up. They turn the building into a gigantic advent calendar and show a new painting leading up to Christmas every day. We were there on the 23rd, which is why you can still see the 24 in this picture my brother took.






On Christmas Eve we went to one at the Schoenbrunn Palace near me. This was the summer palace of the Habsburgs and is crazy big. Here is a wide shot and one of a stand where my Dad got a huge donut-like thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment